good morning. Let’s start with the latest headlines, events, and social posts (all worth a read!)
First, today’s weather:
Morning shower partly sunny. High: 84 Low: 76.
The most important titles
- The tourism commissioner had to personally persuade a cruise ship moored in the West Indian Company not to leave early after the Havensite shooting. The Crystal Serenity, with 375 guests on board and more than 200 crew members, had just docked early Saturday morning. The passengers were still on board when the ship’s captain heard about the armed robbery. In response, the passengers remained on board and the ship made preparations for an early departure from St. Thomas. But Tourism Commissioner Josef Bocholt intervened. The whole story about VI Consortium.
- Crowley will no longer ship to the Leeward Islands, including Antigua and Barbuda, which has raised concerns that they could also stop services to the USVI. Daily News check.
- Moody’s Investors Service completed the periodic review of the Virgin Islands Water and Energy Authority on December 3, 2021. Although the review did not include a change in the facility’s credit rating, Moody’s did make use of the following “key rating considerations”:
- WAPA has an unsustainable capital structure.
- Insufficient operating cash flow generation to fund an adequate level of cash on the balance sheet and address future debt maturities and capital expenditures.
- VI WAPA is the sole provider of electricity and is therefore important to the economy of the US Virgin Islands. Slowing economic growth in the region and weak credit profile of the US Virgin Islands government (Caa3 issuer rating) remain a concern.
- The facility’s failure to submit audited financial statements in a timely manner and breach of financial covenants in 2018 and 2019 are considered fiduciary weaknesses.
Today The US Virgin Islands Daily is brought to you in part by Newres.One of the country’s leading mortgage lenders. Take a smart step into your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to contact a Newry’s loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS#3013)
- Introduction to Holiday Stained Glass (9:00 AM)
- Friends of the Virgin Islands National Park have announced that Ki’Janne’ Alfred and Lila Uzzell are the first recipients of the Nobel Samuel Scholarship. The scholarship is available to St. John’s youth attending college. (Facebook social networking site)
- The Ministry of Agriculture will hold a gift for the festive season tree on Saturday, December 11 (Twitter)
- Rock City Rec is back! And kicked into action….literally. Kickball matches started this week. Check their Facebook page for updates and information on how to get involved.
- Check out workout classes at AARP Fitness Park in Altona Lagoon, in St. Croix. The Department of Sports, Parks and Recreation VI will offer classes Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 9 a.m. from December 13, 2021 to April 22, 2022. Register by calling 340-773-0160 or emailing Jamila .firstname.lastname@example.org. (Facebook social networking site)
- Every December, the Sixth Children’s Museum offers a 15% discount on our memberships! This is the time to register the family. Members get: -10% off all gift shop items -Free entry for everyone in your membership (IDs must be presented at check-in) -ACM (Children’s Museum Consortium) network privileges. Meaning, you can travel to other children’s museums and get a discount on your admission because you have a membership with us (Facebook)
Did you know you can feature your local business here in our newsletter for just $79 a month? Click here to find out more.
Thanks for following up and staying informed. See you all tomorrow for your next update.
– Ashley Baldwin
About me: I’m the Patch Community News editor in the US Virgin Islands. I’m here to provide news that you can use. Do you have a tip, question or comment? Please contact me at email@example.com.