Hey folks Austin! It’s me again, Gabriella Covilion, your Austin Daily host.
First, today’s weather:
Lots of sunshine. High: 75 Low: 45.
Here are the top stories in Austin today:
- On Tuesday, January 11, Westlakes High School announced that Tony Salazar would be the “new head coach at Austin (Texas) Westlake.” Former coach, Todd Dodge, “retired his position at the end of the 2021 season after taking home his seventh state championship in his coaching career.” Salazar said, according to Austin Statesman, “I’ve had offers from other schools to leave Westlake and become a head coach elsewhere. There was always something that kept me here.” For more details visit: (247 sports)
- Due to the escalation of COVID-19 omicron cases, Meals on Wheels of Central Texas had to change the daily meal delivery date from Monday, January 24, to Friday, January 28, on which day they would provide 3 weeks’ worth of meals. The change is due to the fact that many “clients have underlying medical conditions that can make them particularly vulnerable to complications from COVID-19” and therefore want to keep “clients and volunteers healthy and safe.” For now, Meals on Wheels will continue to “monitor local public health developments while reviewing future plans.” For more information, visit: (KEYE TV CBS Austin)
- Bojangles Southeast Fried Chicken may be coming to Austin soon! The company plans to open 50 locations in Texas, five of which are in the Austin area. Although they haven’t announced a specific opening date, “according to the Austin Business Journal, they will have three investment partners and a restaurant operator for their projects in Austin.” For more details, click here and visit: (KVUE.com)
- Last weekend, Governor Greg Abbott formally announced that he would “run against competition to maintain his role as leader of Texas” along with 12 others who plan to run for the position. “Do you think you know all the candidates, and in which party they belong?” Take the following test to find out: (KXAN.com)
- The 2022 Don’t Mess With Texas® Scholarship Contest, sponsored by Buc-ees and iHeart Media, is now taking applications. The competition is open to Texas high school seniors currently in public, private, or home schools who plan to attend an accredited Texas college or university in the fall of 2022. A total of $9,000 in scholarships will be awarded in May 2022, and winners will be selected based on their “results” Demonstrated in pioneering projects or events that focus on educating communities about the importance of keeping our country clean and litter-free.” For more details, visit: (Yahoo Finance)
From our sponsor:
Hi Austin, are you looking forward to Buy a home, refinance or just explore your options? Check out the new Mortgage Patch Center for all your mortgage needs!
Today in Austin:
- Virtual cardio and strength class Online event. (6:30 am)
- Sidewalk Dinner for Two by Franklin BBQ Raffles for National Blood Donor Month In We Are Blood. (9 am)
- VirtualZumba Free online lessons. (6 m)
- AVID Family Night Austin ISD Zoom event. (6 m)
- virtual yoga Free online lessons. (7 m)
- Strange but perfect gameplay At Hyde Park Theatre. (8 m)
From my notebook:
- “Saturday, January 15th, is the deadline for purchasing health coverage, which will begin on February 1st.” (Facebook social networking site)
- “Free COVID-19 vaccine opportunities are available on many Austin ISD campuses. No Appointment Required: Information on the COVID-19 Vaccine | Austin ISD. (Facebook)
- Donate new, gently used, and vintage items starting Monday, January 17th at our Campus Warehouse! We accept donations every Monday from 9am to noon at our warehouse located at 1600 Payton Gin Road. Visit: Children’s Settlement Home. (Facebook social networking site)
- Welcome to the Austin Chamber of Commerce, JuiceLand. They mix raw, cold-pressed juice with whole fruits and vegetables to make thick, superior-quality smoothies! Guests can order fresh juice made to order or get cold bottled juice from the Grab-and-go cooler. Check it out: The Best Fresh Juices and Beverages in Texas | Juice Land. “ (Facebook social networking site)
- Foster Angels of Central Texas encourages you to “be a foster angel” and sMaintaining a child’s needs in foster care at http://app.hellofund.com/FACTRequests. “ (Facebook social networking site)
- “This was a tough decision,” said City Animal Services Chief Don Bland. Many factors were taken into account, including first and foremost our ability to care for the animals in our shelter safely and humanely. For more information, read: Beginning January 23, AAC is closed Sunday due to COVID-19 concerns (austin360.com). “ (Facebook social networking site)
More Sponsors – Thanks for supporting local news!
Do you like The Austin Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s it for today! See you again in your inbox tomorrow with the next update.
– Gabriella Covilion
About me: I am an active mother of two adults and have been a lifelong resident of San Antonio. I got my BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my spare time I dive into creative writing. Thank you for reading Patch, and feel free to get in touch if you have any news and events that you think might interest our readers!