DELAWARE COUNTY, PA — High schoolers in Delaware County who embrace individualism, empathy, free-thought, and skepticism can now apply for a $666 scholarship through a Satanist group in the county.
Satanic Delco has opened its Outsider Achievement Award to any Delaware County student for the scholarship program’s second year.
Last year, the scholarship was only open to Ridley High School students. Three students were each awarded $666 in May 2021.
“High School is a critical, formative part of life for most teenagers,” the scholarship website reads. “Countless factors converge to define how that experience impacts each young individual. For some students, things like sports, academics, and groupthink come naturally. But in the shadows of the Homecoming royalty, football star, and Most Likely To Succeed, lies the outsider .”
Applicants can submit an essay, poem, film, song, illustration, or other creative medium to be considered for a scholarship.
Awardees will be decided based on honest expression and emotional impact above all else.
“Spill your guts, kids,” the page reads.
Applications can be submitted online here.
The deadline for submissions is May 1.
Satanic Delco is also raising funds to support the scholarship. See here to contribute to their effort.
For the unfamiliar, Satanic Delco is not actually a group of Satan’s worshipers and is an independent congregation that is unaffiliated with any other Satanic groups. They follow seven tenets commonly followed among larger groups of Satanists.
Those tenets are:
- One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
- The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
- The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one’s own.
- Beliefs should conform to one’s best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one’s beliefs.
- People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one’s best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
- Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
The group has donated about $2,800 worth of items to the Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County and also spent a day handing out homelessness survival kits in Philadelphia.