Gateway Community & Technical College announced Monday that it is now offering free tuition to new students for the Spring 2022 semester starting in January.
“We know that the ongoing pandemic has caused many people to put their educational goals and lives on hold for many different reasons,” said Fernando Figueroa, Gateway President. “This scholarship, where students can get their first semester on us, will remove the financial barrier that many new students face.”
Gateway offers free tuition through a scholarship available to any first-time Gateway student or any former Gateway student who has taken at least one year of vacation.
Free Scholarship Criteria
- Eligible recipients must be first-time Gateway/KCTCS students or have been in for more than one year.
- Complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA application (they do not need to be eligible for assistance).
- If the recipient is a Kentucky resident, they must complete the Kentucky Work Readiness Scholarship application (not required if pursuing an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree). Students do not need to be enrolled in an eligible work-ready program to be eligible for this scholarship.
- They must register as a student seeking credentials, and take courses to obtain college credit. Only courses required in the degree program are eligible for free tuition.
- Apply for a free scholarship by November 15, 2021.
- Recipients must be enrolled in at least six Gateway credit hours at the time of award submission and Gateway listed as a home campus.
- Recipients must be enrolled in classes by November 29, 2021.
The deadline to apply for free tuition is November 15, 2021.
The announcement said that this scholarship is in “last dollar” only, meaning that after all other financial aid or third-party payments (excluding student loans) have been applied, the scholarship will cover the remaining balance of tuition fees. Funding is limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information on advertising, go to gateway.kctcs.edu/free.