Memphis, tin – The Memphis Tigers are looking to recover from a hitter loss on their last outing, as SMU heads to FedExForum Thursday night for their first home game in Memphis in 11 days. The information will be given at 6 p.m. on ESPN2.
The Tigers dropped a heartbreaking 72-71 at the bell in East Carolina on Saturday afternoon for their second straight loss after winning three in a row.
Landers Noli II And Jayden Hardaway They were new additions to the injury report and missed the East Carolina game. Now seven different tigers, Emonie BatesAnd Galen DoreenAnd Alex LomaxAnd Earl TimberlakeAnd Deandry WilliamsNoli II and Hardaway have missed at least one match this month due to injury. Counting Chandler Lawson, who have been injured since November, the Tigers have not played with the full range of scholarship players available since November 24 against Virginia Tech. only three tigers, Tyler HarrisAnd Josh Minot And Lester QuinonesShe played in all 16 tiger games this year.
SMU entered the match as second in the AAC standings with a score of 4-1, half a game behind Houston’s 4-0. Mustangs are 13-4 overall on the season and have won 10 of their last 11 games, their only loss being in Cincinnati on January 6. Kendrick Davis, the AAC’s leading scorer at 21.1 points per game, who also ranks 10th in the NCAA. He is also among the top five in the conference in free-throw percentage, field goal percentage, assists, 3-pointers and assist-to-turn ratio.
Thursday’s game is a match between two of the conference’s best offenders. Memphis ranks second in the league with 77.0 points per game, and SMU is just behind it with 76.9 per competition. SMU also leads AAC at 3 points and 3 percentage points, with three players averaging 1.9 at least three times per outing.
The training staff in Memphis has two people associated with SMU. coach assistant Larry Brown He went 94-39 as SMU’s head coach for four seasons from 2012-16, including the Mustang’s first NCAA Championship appearance since 1993 in 2014-15. In addition to Memphis Assistant Head Coach Shaun Forrest He was an assistant coach at SMU under Tim Jankovic For three seasons from 2016-19, which included the 2016-2017 SMU 30-5 campaign.
After Thursday’s game, the Tigers head to Tulsa on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. This game will conclude with an extension of three road games in Orlando, Greenville, North Carolina and Tulsa covering nearly 2,000 miles. Then Memphis returns to FedExForum to host East Carolina on Thursday, January 27.
Thursday game presented by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee.
Memphis Tiger (9-7, 3-3 AAC) vs. Mustang NR/RV SMU (13-4, 4-1 AAC)
Thursday January 20 2022 | 6 pm CT
FedExForum (18400); Memphis, Tenn.
the television: ESPN2 (Kevin Brown, pxp; John Crispin, analysis)
radio: 98.9 THE ROAR OF MEMPHIS (Dave Wooshin, pxp; Matt Dillon, analysis)
- 9: American Athletic Conference consecutive wins for the Tigers, dating back to a 56-49 loss to Tulsa on December 21, 2020.
- 1: 3-indicator required by Tyler Harris To move in the past Jeremy Hunt (2002-07) in his sole possession of fifth place in the career leaderboard for Memphis (168).
- 7: Teams in AAC that have lost at most two or three conferences in six league matches so far this year.
- 5.7: Memphis has averaged margin of defeat for seven of its losses this season, with five points by four or less including two of the last three by one point each.
- 9: Back-to-back matches with a new starting lineup for the Tigers; Memphis used 12 different starting lineups overall with 11 different starting players.
The last time
- East Carolina Brandon Suggs The beater hit the bell, and the Memphis short-handed Buccaneers topped Saturday afternoon in Greenville, North Carolina, 72-71.
- The Tigers were playing with six players on scholarship due to injuries.
- East Carolina led just 53 seconds into the game.
- Memphis was leading in scoring Galen Doreen with 15.
- Emonie Bates And Tyler Harris added all 13, Josh Minot was 12 and Lester Quinones Ended with 10.
- Memphis used 11-0 to lead with a 19-8 lead, while forcing East Carolina to make seven consecutive fouls, setting the tone for the remainder of the first half.
- The Tigers advanced by as much as 19 points when Bates scored his third of three consecutive triples, and the Buccaneers didn’t get a single number one in the rest of the half.
- The Tigers made five of seven 3-point attempts in the first half (.714) and fired 57.6 percent from the field overall (19-33).
- Memphis also scored 24 points in the paint in the first 20 minutes.
- The second half happened late, as the Buccaneers went 10-0 to tie the match at 70 with less than a minute left.
- Quinones led the basket on the next possession and committed, splitting a pair of free throws to put Memphis ahead, 71-70, 14 seconds left.
- East Carolina removed it and experimented with throwing a ball, which was hit out of bounds Earl Timberlake.
- With one second on the clock, the pirates entered Suggs, who held them for victory.
- East Carolina 10-0 at home this season.
- Suggs and Vance Jackson Pirates led with 17 points each.
- SMU went 11-6 last season and finished fourth in AAC with a score of 7-4.
- The Mustang advanced to NIT, where they withdrew in the first round after losing 85-84 to Boise State.
- Memphis then went on to beat Boise State in the quarterfinals, 59-56.
- Davis was the AAC’s top scorer and assisting assistant last season with 19.0 points and 7.6 assists per game.
- Mustangs are back too Emmanuel Pandomel, who averaged 10.2 points per game.
- SMU was selected to finish third in the pre-season coaches poll this season, behind Houston and Memphis.
- Davis was a collegiate first-team pick in all conferences in pre-season.
- SMU has won four AAC Championships, winning the regular season and championship titles in 2015 and 2017.
- Mustangs have earned 17 All-AAC honors, the most in the conference, in the league’s first eight seasons.
How to follow tigers: For complete information on Memphis Tiger men’s basketball, visit www.GoTigersGo.com and follow the team’s social media channels at TwitterAnd Instagram and Facebook.