As the holiday closing date approaches at Brock University, students, staff, and faculty are reminded of the many mental health and wellness resources available to them during the holiday break and into the new year.
Supporting students’ mental health and wellness
Students seeking mental health support and personal counseling can access licensed professional counselors 24/7 through the My Student Support Program (My SPP) mobile app. Free and confidential real-time text chat and phone support are available in 5 languages: English, French, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese (Simplified Chinese over chat).
In addition to live and immediate support, the app also offers an extensive library of mental health and well-being resources, including articles, podcasts, infographics, and videos; FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS TO THE VIRTUAL FITNESS APP LIFT; and anonymous, evidence-based self-assessments that can help students identify risks for mental health issues such as depression, generalized anxiety, and addiction.
The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. When creating a profile, students must enter the Brock University Student Advising Program as the school.
Supporting the mental health and wellness of employees
Brock University employees have free and confidential access to mental health and wellness support services through the University’s Family and Personnel Assistance Program (EFAP) LifeWorks. All Brock faculty and staff and their immediate family members can access EFAP Support Services 24-7 by calling 1-844-880-9137.
The LifeWorks Health website and mobile app are also available to all current Brock University employees. Staff and faculty can sign up for brockuniversity.lifeworks.com using a unique invitation code embedded in an email received from LifeWorks to their Brock email in April 2021. Once registered and signed in, employees can invite up to five family members to join the LifeWorks Program. The LifeWorks mobile app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
LifeWorks offers articles, podcasts, and videos on a variety of topics; subjective assessments of financial, mental, physical and social well-being; Automated fitness trips and live chat for coaches through the LIFT session app; and exclusive discounts and special offers called “privileges”.
Topics for articles, podcasts, and videos include:
- Health – addiction, alcohol, drugs, child safety and mental health, healthcare providers, mental health support, anxiety, depression, stress, diet and nutrition, exercise and fitness, mindfulness, sleep, pregnancy, heart disease, long-term illness and senior mental health and physical.
- Family – Caring for a new child, adopting a child, caring for a child, dealing with death and loss, friends and family relationships, family law, wills, divorce/separation, caring for older relatives, work-life balance, communication with children.
- Life – serious accidents, natural disasters, suicide prevention, living or caring for someone with a disability, moving, commuting to work, legal issues, end-of-life planning, personal growth, organization, personal communication, spouses, friends, being single and planning for retirement and relocation.
- Work – Career development, networking, training, manager communication skills, leadership and motivation, labor relations, flexible remote work, time off and time management.
- Money – financial planning, investing, taxes, changing income, managing money, budgeting, debt, saving, fraud, identity theft.
The LifeWorks platform also features several free online self-guided wellness programs. CareNow programs are based on cognitive behavioral therapy and include techniques and strategies employees can use to become and stay healthy.
CareNow programs include:
- Achieving financial well-being
- Full focus of the mind
- Take drugs
- Quit smoking and nicotine
- Balance life with work
A recent information session reviewed several EFAP offerings available to Brock employees and are available here:
Additional EFAP information can be found in the Health Safety and Wellness Toolbox on SharePoint.
Questions about EFAP or the LifeWorks platform — including resources, programs, and employee login information — can be sent to Employhealth@brocku.ca
Additional Health and Wellness Resources for Students and Staff
Therapist-guided CBT sessions are available free to all Ontarians through Mind Beacon, thanks to funding from the Ontario Government. The site also offers a wide range of articles and virtual events related to mental health.
Mental health support and resources are also available through:
Health concerns, including advice about COVID-19, can be sought through Telehealth Ontario by calling 1-866-797-0000.
Brock Recreation Services offers complimentary access to fitness classes via ExpressFit upon request. The Brock University Library has a free Library Yoga YouTube playlist.
Brock University campus security services can be reached by calling 905-688-5550 x3200 (crisis) or x4300 (non-crisis).