Ds Scholarship

Scholarships available for Native American students | Education

TAHLEQUAH – Each year several scholarships are available specifically for Native American students seeking a degree in higher education.

American Indian Education Fund undergraduate scholarship

Eligible to American Indian, Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian students accepted to an undergraduate program. AIEF awards more than 200 scholarships annually. Recipients can receive up to $2,000 per year paid directly to the studentís college or university. Recipients must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA and submit grades with the application each year. The deadline is April 4. Visit nativepartnership.org.

American Indian College Fund Full Circle Scholarship

Eligible to American Indian, Alaska Native or Native Hawaiian students seeking undergraduate and graduate degrees at tribal colleges, nonprofit and accredited schools.

Recipients must have at least a 2.0 GPA, be enrolled full time, provide a digital photo, proof of tribal enrollment and provide most recent high school or college transcripts.

Deadline is May 31. Visit collegefund.org.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Allows for need-based financial aid that includes Pell grants, work-study and federal student loans. FAFSA funds are awarded based off income guidelines. To apply, students need parent or guardianís recent income tax information, Social Security number and date of birth. Applications need to be completed each year the student plans to attend college to qualify and receive funds. Applications open in October each year and the recommended deadline is Dec. 1. Visit studentaid.gov.

American Indian Science and Engineering Society scholarships

Students interested in the science or engineering field can apply for an AISES scholarship up to $10,000 depending on the type of scholarship applied for. Applicants must be a current AISES member upon applying and an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe. For a full list of scholarships and deadlines, visit aises.org.

Indian Health Services Scholarship

IHS offers three scholarships for Native American and Alaska Native students entering the health field to educate and train them to staff IHS health programs.

ï Preparatory Scholarship – provides financial aid to undergraduate students enrolled in preparatory courses or prerequisite courses that will lead to enrollment in eligible health professions degree programs.

ï Pre-graduate Scholarship – financial aid to students enrolled in courses leading to a bachelorís degree in pre-medicine, pre-dentistry, pre-podiatry and other fields needed by IHS programs.

ï Health Professions Scholarship – in exchange for financial aid, scholarship recipients must agree to fulfill a service commitment in full-time clinical practice uponu their academic or post-gradate training.

For more information and deadlines, visit ihs.gov/scholarships.

‘Catching the Dream’ Scholarship

To improve the quality of life in Indian Country through the higher education of Indigenous people, ìCatching the Dreamî provides scholarships to students who demonstrate academic achievement and leadership to help their communities. Amounts range from $500 to $5,000 yearly based on merit. Students must provide proof of enrollment with an Indian tribe, submit ACT, SAT or GRE test scores, must submit three letters of recommendation and provide an essay, and have a minimum 2.0 GPA.

Deadlines are March 15, April 30 and Sept. 15. Visit catchingthedream.org for more information.

Association on American Indian Affairs scholarships

Through a partnership with the American Indian College Fund, AAIA offers scholarships to Native American students seeking undergraduate and graduate degrees. The Elizabeth and Sherman Asche Memorial Scholarship, the Homborg Scholarship and the Mary Hemenway Memorial Fund as well as other patrons fund the scholarships. To be eligible, students can be federally or non-federally recognized from the continental US or Alaska, and must submit a tribal enrollment card, be enrolled as a full-time student, keep a minimum 2.5 GPA, submit a current class, attend an accredited institution and provide essays as requested in the application.

For more information, visit indian-affairs.org.


Oakland County teacher on leave after assignment depicts Barack Obama alongside primates

OAKLAND COUNTY, Mich. – An Oakland County The teacher is on leave over...

‘Stop the Bleed’ video offers lifesaving info to Ukraine

During Emergency Medical Services Week from May 15-22, and for Stop the Bleed...


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here