Since fiscal year 2020, SWE has provided more than $1,000,000 in scholarship money. Did you know that SWE offers scholarships to first-year students in engineering programs? If your answer is “yes” to all the questions below, Apply for the SWE Scholarship.
With one application, you are considered for all SWE Scholarships for which you are eligible.
Navigating the scholarship application process can be daunting, but we are here to help. Check out these helpful resources for tips and suggestions.
- Do you know you are a female/woman?
- Are you an incoming college student with a GPA of at least 3.5 in high school?
- Are you planning to be a full-time engineering student within the next year?
Are you enrolled in an ABET accredited engineering program? (Psst… you can Check if the software is accredited here)
Applications for the Freshman Scholarships open March 1 and are due May 1.
click here For answers to frequently asked questions. Stay tuned for more study tips and tricks exclusively for SWENexters!
Take advantage of SWENext High School Leadership Academy (SHLA) and SWENext TV!
The SWE Outreach Committee gave a presentation via SWENext TV for SWENexters last summer on applying for scholarships and financial aid. This presentation provides an in-depth look at these topics with members of SWE who have experienced them themselves.
There are plenty of scholarships out there, so remember to do your research! The Ministry of Labor has a Free Scholarship Search Tool Your high school guidance counselor may be familiar with scholarship opportunities in your local area. It is also a good idea to research scholarships that may be available through local religious and civic organizations, your parents’ employers, or other professional associations. While some applications may not be open yet, it is a good idea to start doing your research and compiling your application materials. good luck! Learn more about SWENext TV and SHLA here.
Learn more about preparing for scholarships with this checklist
Are you worried about missing something important in the app? Do not be afraid! We’ve created this checklist to help you make sure you don’t miss a thing!
Visit here to learn more about SWE Scholarships.
Learn best practices for writing your scholarship application essay
Time to start thinking about your SWE scholarship application essay! We can’t wait to hear why you want to be an engineer. Here is a list of things to avoid when writing your essay:
- Don’t focus on what the engineer does in the abstract.
- Tell us why you want to be an engineer and what you will do!
- Don’t focus on the things you did that might not have anything to do with engineering.
- Tell us all the great things you’ve done, highlighting your STEM-related activities and accomplishments.
- Don’t move from one topic to another without any structure.
- Organize your ideas and make connections between topics.
- Don’t make grammatical errors.
- Take the time to let someone else review your article before submitting it.
Click here for an example of a bad article and check out additional tips and tricks to make your application shine! To learn more, please visit SWE Scholarship Website Here.
Wondering what the rulers will be looking for? How will they register your application? Check out these videos and get to know more past referees: