Written by Sharon Aaron Baron
College seniors who have demonstrated a commitment to theater or journalism can now apply for 2022 Jack Zink Memorial Student Scholarship.
FOr more than three decades, Jack Zinke has been an entertainment editor, columnist, critic, and reporter for each of South Florida’s major newspapers: South Florida Sun Sentinel, Miami Herald, Palm Beach Post and Evening Times, And Fort Lauderdale news.
Zink, who died in 2008 at the age of 61, was founder and past president of the Carbonell Awards, the South Florida Theater and Arts Honors, and past president of the American Theater Critics Association.
Jeff Keelty, Chairman of the Carbonell Awards Board of Directors, announced Tuesday that the nonprofit is now accepting applications from high school students attending college.
One winner from each of the three district counties: Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach receives a $2,000 Jack Zink Scholarship.
The selection process was chaired by Carbonell Vice President Javier Siot, a Member of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs.
- The applicant must be a high school graduate with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- The applicant must be a resident of Broward, Miami-Dade, or Palm Beach County.
- The applicant must be nominated by a mentor from the school or theater (no parents, no self-nominations).
- If selected, the applicant must be accepted into college for a degree in theater or journalism.
- The completed application must be submitted no later than February 7, 2022.
- The interview/testing for the scholarship finalists will take place on Sunday, March 13, 2022, at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts.
- The three scholarship winners will be honored at the annual Carbonell Awards Ceremony in late fall 2022.
sIn 1978, the Carbonell Awards provided more than $110,000 in scholarships to winning applicants. Applications and guidelines for the Jack Zink Memorial Scholarship for Students 2022 are available online at the website www.carbonell.org.
Submit your news to the #1 award winning Coral Springs news site here.
Talk Media Editor and Writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to bring news, viewing, and entertainment to residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.