January 13 2022 –
Did your experience with UM begin in the winter semester? We want to ensure that you start your academic path with the tools you need to be successful. That’s why UM First Year Center offers Winter Welcome – Online Programming to welcome you to the University of Manitoba and equip you with the knowledge and skills to successfully transition to UM.
You are smart, organized and excited to learn, let’s start the new year and the new semester together, with two exciting online events to get you started. These are great opportunities to become more familiar with your UM community, meet new people and explore your interests. Take advantage of campus services, clubs, and communities for a variety of events held on campus.
Preparation days (January 19-20)
Prep days give you the opportunity to meet your classmates and upper-level students designed to introduce you to UM.
Check the prep days schedule, and select the sessions you want to enroll in. Here are some examples of what will be provided:
- Get tips for skill-based learning, including strategies for mastering online learning, time management, planning study sessions, doing well in a group, academic writing, tutoring, and much more.
- Learn how to get the best student experience, tips on staying active while studying, and introductions to the different student communities where you can make connections and meet new friends.
- Learn more about the many student supports and services available to you, including spiritual health, sexual violence awareness, accessibility, and more.
- Learn about the faculty community in faculty-led sessions.
This is your first year at UM! Make the most of it by participating in the opportunities that were created just for you. Meet new people with common interests and gain an advantage by learning about expectations and resources at your new school.
take place Friday January 21Welcome, Winter provides you with the information you need to start your undergraduate studies. You will begin the day by being formally received at UM by the President and the others at the Welcome Party. You will then meet with your Welcome Day group to hear what you can expect as you begin your first year of university studies. In the afternoon, reach out to the faculty or get advice from students who have been at your place last year.
- Join the 8:30 a.m. Welcome Party on January 21 for welcome messages and tips from UM President, Michael Benarroch, student leaders and more.
- Connect with advisors and other students as they share tips and tricks for starting classes;
- Get help to develop your skills in academic writing, time management and study;
- Learn about support resources;
- Explore all that UM has to offer, in and out of the classroom.
Sessions begin at 8:30 a.m. on January 21. To register and access Zoom links, visit the Winter Welcome page. We hope to see you there!
keep in touch
For everything you need to know as a first year student, visit UM Commons, an online hub where you can connect with your classmates, participate in events, find a mentor, and more. Plus, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @umfirstyearcentre and @umstudent.