Alabama Down Syndrome (DSA) has announced that applications are now open for the Jake Pratt Scholarship Fund, sponsored by UPS. In 2021, UPS awarded DSA with a $25,000 grant in honor of one of its Birmingham-area employees, Jake Pratt. Jake happens to have Down syndrome. Jake has completed the Post-Secondary Education Program at Clemson Life, and his desire is to help other young people with Down Syndrome who wish to enter the Post-Secondary Education Program with a scholarship.
The UPS-sponsored Jake Pratt Scholarship Fund will provide individual scholarships to people with Down syndrome who wish to enroll or continue to enroll in a post-secondary program that will enhance their lives through employment, independent living, life skills, or interests in other areas.
Conditions for applying for the scholarship
• The applicant is an Alabama individual with Down syndrome who is at least 18 years old, or will be 18 years old by July 1 of the year of application.
• The applicant intends to enroll or continue to enroll in a post-secondary program at a university or community college within the United States, with an IPSE (Inclusive Post-Secondary Education) program; It must be a program affiliated with or directly affiliated with an accredited institute of higher education (IHE) and must support students with intellectual disabilities.
• Applicants will provide copies of their high school diploma or equivalent, or a copy of their high school diploma if graduating in the spring of the year of application, admission or current enrollment in the IPSE programme.
• Scholarship funds must be applied to tuition fees – funds may be used for housing, food or transportation only if these costs are already included as part of the IPSE programming fee. No separate payments will be made for these facilities.
• Funds must be paid directly to IHE. No payments will be made to the individual or family.
• DSA will award up to 3 scholarships of varying amounts, which together total $5,000.
• All scholarship funds must be used within one year.
• You must submit two letters of recommendation.
• You may include any supporting documents that you think will assist the Scholarship Committee in its deliberations. This may include artwork, videos, awards, photos, employment history, advocacy, extracurricular activities, etc. Anything you submit with your order cannot be returned and becomes the property of Alabama Down Syndrome.
Presented by Alabama Down Syndrome
The deadline for applications is April 8, 2022. To submit applications or to find more information, please visit this link. https://downsyndromealabama.org/dsa-jake-pratt-scholarship-fund/