NICA opens Sparkle On Scholarship to train with Kate – Created by pro mountain biker and alumn of NICA NorCal Kate Courtney, the Sparkle On Scholarship was envisioned to support cyclists making the tough transition from high school to college while trying to pursue high-level bike racing. Together with Courtney’s pro team and Scott, Syncros, SRAM & RockShox sponsors, the program will support six high school seniors racing in US National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) leagues, as they face the financial burden of transitioning to college and help encourage them to integrate cycling into their new academic focus in college life.
Ideal candidates are those who have shown both academic & athletic determination in their time with NICA, and have a continued commitment to their cycling community. It’s not only for the absolute fastest racers, but also those dedicated to cycling advocacy, trail stewardship & community building as they combine racing with their studies.
The scholarship awards $6500 to 6 NICA seniors, plus quarterly mentorship calls with Kate during their first key year of college, and participation in a skill-building summit on & off the bike.
Applications are open now at NICA through March 21, and financial need is also considered in their selection process. Learn more & apply at: NationalMTB.org/Sparkle-On-Scholarship
- Trek partners with NICA for Pathfinders Scholarships, too -In addition to Sparkle One, this year’s Fall Trek NICA Pathfinders Scholarship applications are open now, as well. Trek partnered with NICA to help grow diversity in cycling for the next generation, improving access to our sport for people of color. This scholarship will provide up to 250 diverse and underrepresented youth with the gear and funds they need to ride and race in their local NICA League. If you know a kid who would be a good fit learn more and apply before April 15 at: NationalMTB.org
Where to Ride & Race
- L’Eroica x Colnago’s 13 classic all-road events around the world in 2022 Colnago & Eroica pair up for the next three years of classic & modern all-road rides. The original L’Eroica and all of its daughter events all around the world will be supported by the Italian road bike maker – including the 40th anniversary of the Goodwood Road Cycling World Championships at Eroica Britannia. Eroica events start Apr 29 at the Nova Eroica California, then continue in South Africa, Japan, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, UK & Germany before finishing at the classic L’Eroica in Gaiole in Chianti, Italy on the first of October . Eroica.cc
- 2022 BC Bike Race route unveiled – This year’s BCBR heads from the North Okanagan to the South Okanagan – starting Sep 16
in Kelowna through Salmon Arm, Vernon, Silver Star, and onto Apex Mountain, with a grand finale on the Naramata Bench of Penticton. This new 2022 route includes an incredible variety of new locations and amazing trails. Their ‘Ultimate Singletrack Experience’ continues a diverse exploration of all the amazing communities and trail networks British Columbia is renowned for. Check out the full 253km route and get the full details at: BCBikeRace.com
- Mega Volt II brings back a multi-day eMTB ride/race BCBR also does e-bikes in North Vancouver, too. In cooperation with the Cowichan Trail Stewardship Society, the Mega Volt II returns. Debuted last year, this “fully charged E-MTB experience” takes place this Jun 3-5 again in the beautiful Cowichan Valley. Called the “first event of its kind”, it’s an e-bike event, a race, a ride. Basically, they’re out there having fun with friends on e-bikes. And while there’s a little bit of competition here and there, it’s not your average race. Registration is open now for the eMTB event now at: TheMegaVolt.com
Gear & Deals
- Save 20% off all Quoc cycling shoes now – Quoc has shared an interview with their founder about 12 years of crafting shoes. And to welcome spring they’re offering a limited 20% off discount on the full collection with coupon code FIRSTPAIR20 at checkout. Quoc.cc